Lipid Spray Instead of Eye Drops
What Causes Dry Eye?
Dry eyes are caused by a lack of adequate tears. Your tears are a complex mixture of water, fatty oils and mucus. This mixture helps make the surface of your eyes smooth and clear, and it helps protect your eyes from infection.
For some people, the cause of dry eyes is decreased tear production. For others it’s increased tear evaporation and an imbalance in the makeup of your tears.
Why Not Just Use Eye Drops?
Eye drops are the most commonly used treatment for dry eyes. There are issues with using eye drops though and reasons include:
- Most drops are ‘artificial tears’ that add liquid to the aqueous layer of the tear film. 80% of dry eye sufferers have a disturbance in the eye’s lipid layer. Artificial tears will not resolve this issue.
- Drops can be hard to use for many people eg. you cannot use most drops without contact lenses in our with makeup on.
- Many drops have short shelf lives (one month) or contain preservatives that can irritate eyes and can worsen dry eye over time.
How Does Lipid Spray Work
Through a Closed Eyelid?
When sprayed onto a closed eyelid, a small percentage of the spray forms on the eyelid margins.
This is where meibomian glands are located and the natural lipids are secreted.
Tears again supplements the natural lipids and is then blinked across the eye
How to Apply Lipid Spray
1. With an open eye, align the pump 2-3cm away using your thumb to stabilise your hand on your cheek.
2. Close your eyes and discharge 1 pump onto the eyelid. Use 3 or 4 times daily or as advised by your Doctor.